English to English
1. free from external control and constraint
an independent mind|a series of independent judgments|fiercely independent individualism
2. (of a clause) capable of standing syntactically alone as a complete sentence
the main (or independent) clause in a complex sentence has at least a subject and a verb
3. Not dependent; free; not subject to control by others; not relying on others; not subordinate; as, few men are wholly independent.
4. (of political bodies) not controlled by outside forces
an autonomous judiciary|a sovereign state
5. not controlled by a party or interest group
6. a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
7. a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
8. One who believes that an organized Christian church is complete in itself, competent to self- government, and independent of all ecclesiastical authority.