English to English
1. a colloquial expression for invitation
he didn't get no invite to the party
2. increase the likelihood of
ask for trouble|invite criticism
3. invite someone to one's house
Can I invite you for dinner on Sunday night?
4. give rise to a desire by being attractive or inviting
the window displays tempted the shoppers
5. ask someone in a friendly way to do something
6. have as a guest
I invited them to a restaurant
7. ask to enter
We invited the neighbors in for a cup of coffee
8. request the participation or presence of
The organizers invite submissions of papers for the conference
9. express willingness to have in one's home or environs
The community warmly received the refugees
10. To ask; to request; to bid; to summon; to ask to do some act, or go to some place; esp., to ask to an entertainment or visit; to request the company of; as, to invite to dinner, or a wedding, or an excursion.
11. To give invitation.